The City of Avon Lake started its new contract with a subsidiary of Republic Services at the beginning of the year. Based on literature provided by Republic Services, the Avon Lake Environmental Advisory Board has prepared the below summary regarding recycling rules and regulations.
Acceptable Materials in the Green Recycling Cart
- Newspapers: The entire newspaper including inserts
- Aluminum, steel, and bimetal cans: Food and beverage cans only
- Glass: Bottles and jars: Food and beverage containers only
- Plastic: Detergent and soap containers marked #1 thru #7
- Please rinse all containers listed above
- Misc. paper: magazines, junk mail, cardboard & paperboard (cereal & clean pizza boxes)
- All kinds of cartons: milk, juice, etc.
Do Not Recycle in the Green Recycling Cart:
- Containers with excessive foods or liquids still in the container
- Containers that contained hazardous materials such as oil or anti-freeze
- Styrofoam, aluminum foil, pie tins, etc.
- Light bulbs, ceramics, china, etc.
- Plastic wrap, plastic bags, flower pots, toys, etc.
- Scrap metal, car parts, batteries, etc.
- Do not place any yard waste in the green recycling cart
Separate yard waste collection will take place from April 7ththru November 24thon regular pickup days. Grass clippings and other yard waste should be placed in brown paper yard waste bags, not to exceed 40 lbs. Small branches must be cut and bundled, not to exceed 3 feet in length or 40 lbs., and should be placed next to the blue trash cart. Clear bags will not be collected with yard waste.
Any questions, contact Republic Services Customer Service Department at 1-800-433-1309. Office hours are from 8:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday.
For disposal of liquids and various household hazardous wastes contact the Lorain County Collection Center at 1-800-449-5463. Office hours are from 12:00 p.m.-6:00 p.m. (Monday and Wednesday ) and 9:00 a.m.-6:00 p.m. (Saturday). The Center is located at 540 S. Abbe Rd., Elyria, Ohio 44035.