Communication tools from the Illuminating Company provide customers with simple and convenient ways to get the most current information related to their electric service, using the mediums they prefer.
Alerts offer important notifications related to power outages or bills
Customers can sign up to receive automated emails or text messages to stay informed on topics including:
- Restoration updates in the event of an extended power outage
- Notifications of expected power interruptions for scheduled service reliability work
- Severe weather alerts in advance of storms
- Billing reminders, including new bill available, payment due, payment posted or no payment received
- Reminders of scheduled meter reading dates
Get personalized account information with two-way text messaging
Using a series of short codes, customers can send text messages to 544487 (LIGHTS) to report a power outage, request a status update on a reported outage, or make billing inquiries from a mobile phone. This customer-initiated tool utilizes the existing text message service on a mobile device. Short codes and frequently-asked questions are available at www.firstenergycorp.com/connect.
Mobile website and smartphone app offer on-the-go access to account services
With the mobile-optimized website and smartphone app, customers can easily manage their electronic accounts on the go. Features include:
- Easy outage reporting and access to the mobile-optimized 24/7 Power Center outage maps
- Secure management of a customer's electric account
- A click-to-call feature to reach the contact center
Customers will automatically connect to the mobile website when using a smartphone to visit www.illuminatingcompany.com. The smartphone app is available for Apple and Android devices. Search for "FirstEnergy" or "Illuminating Company" in the app store.
Enhanced 24/7 Power Center provides the most current outage information
The enhanced 24/7 Power Center outage maps, available to www.firstenergycorp.com/outages, now display individual outage locations with best-available estimated restoration times, the possible cause of the service disruption and crew status.
In addition, customers can receive a status update on a reported outage by logging into their accounts on the full or mobile website. Information about other outage activity in the customer's area also will be displayed.