Tips, Tricks, Resources, and Services
To download a PDF of this list, click here
VIDEO EDITING SOFTWARE OPTIONS
Basic Editing - Free
PC’s - Windows Movie Maker
Standard on Windows 7 and 8 - it is available as a free download for Windows 10. (Support will end for program in January 2017)
Mac’s - iMovie
Standard on Mac computers – it is available for iPads and iPhones through the app store.
App’s - Adobe Premiere Clip
Video editing app for iPhones, iPads, and Android devices - available through the App Store or Google Play.
Consumer Friendly – Costs
PC’s and Mac’s - Adobe Premiere Elements
More advanced than iMovie or Movie Maker, however, it does offer different levels of editing (from basic to advanced) that adapts to users’ experience and ability. Ranges from $60 to $100
Professional – Costs
PC’s and Mac’s - Adobe Premiere Pro
Subscription based payment structure: $29.99/month or $239.88/year
Mac’s - Final Cut Pro X
Apple software: $299.99/license
There are pros and cons for each program, influenced by users experience, and ability.
Up to 20 minutes: Facebook
Longer, more produced videos: Vimeo, YouTube
Shorter videos from mobile device: Vine (up to 6 seconds)Twitter (up to 30 seconds), Instagram (up to 60 seconds), or Flickr (mostly for photos, but can be used for up to 90 seconds)
CLOUD STORAGE / BACKUP
iCloud - Apple product
Available for Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, but works best with Apple products.
Monthly charges: 5GB: free, 50GB: $0.99, 200GB: $2.99, 1TB: $9.99, 2TB: $19.99
OneDrive - Microsoft Product
Available for Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, but works best with Windows products. Easy to open and edit files in other Microsoft applications (like Word or Excel)
Monthly charges: 5GB: free, 50GB: $1.99, 1TB; $6.99
Available for Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, works equally well on all platforms. Can set-up automatic video and photo backups from your Android device. In addition to storage space, you get office tools, such as documents, spreadsheets, forms, etc.
Monthly charges: 15GB: free, 100GB: $1.99, 1TB: $9.99
Available for Windows, Mac, Linux, Android, iOS, Windows Phone, BlackBerry, Kindle Fire, works equally well on all platforms. Best for sharing files with others.
Monthly charges: 2GB: free, 1TB: $8.25
Amazon Cloud Drive
Available for Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, Kindle Fire, but works best with Amazon devices.
Monthly charges: 5GB: free for Prime members, $59.99/year unlimited
PHYSICAL STORAGE / BACKUP
For phones or other mobile devices: MicroSD cards, or higher capacity cards (it all depends on compatibility with your device)
For computers: External hard drive - some of top rated brands: WD, Toshiba, Seagate, Samsung, Buffalo, G-Tech, LaCie
VIDEO AND AUDIO TIPS
- If you are doing a longer interview plug-in the smartphone or video camera
- you don’t want the battery to die halfway through the story.
- Stabilize the camera. Mount on a tripod if you can, using an adapter for smartphones. If you are shooting freehand hold the smartphone with both hands and grip firmly to avoid shakes. When moving the camera move your whole body rather than turning your wrists. Move slowly.
- Hold a smartphone so you are recording with a landscape orientation not portrait, TV and computer displays are landscape orientation.
- Turn off phones, dishwashers, the TV and any other controllable sounds.
- Audio Apps - Check your device. Many Android and all iPhones come with a built-in voice recorder. If you want special features, here are reviews of the top apps available for downloading.
- Follow the same tips for getting good photos and audio – audio is more important than video
- Relax and have a conversation, people should look and talk to each other, not the camera
SERVICES FOR AVON LAKE RESIDENTS & BUSINESSES
Duplicating or Digitizing Media
Formats: Hi-8 video, VHS, S-VHS, Mini DV, DVD
Cost: $10 for first copy - $5 additional copies - $3 shipping
Copies of Past ALC-TV Shows – Above charges apply
EQUIPMENT AVAILABLE FOR PUBLIC USE
- Mini-DV cameras, tripods and various microphones are available for loan
- Computer editing station in studio - Mac running Final Cut v6, Final Cut X and Adobe Premier Elements.
- In-studio stage sets - ALC-TV staff will switch and run the cameras during in-studio shoots