WINTER WEATHER PREPAREDNESS
SAFETY TIPS FOR YOUR HOME AND VEHICLE
The American Red Cross of Greater Cleveland is urging families to take appropriate actions to be prepared for hazardous winter weather. The majority of winter-related incidents are caused by events related to heavy snowfall, high winds and freezing rain. People can become homebound without utilities or other services; motorists can become stranded in vehicles; walking and driving can become hazardous. The Red Cross recommends that families prepare for the possible negative effects of winter weather in a number of ways:
Prepare an Emergency Supply Kit for Your Home, including:
- Three-day supply of water (one gallon of water per person per day for drinking and hygiene);
- Three-day supply of non-perishable, high-energy food and a manual can opener;
- A first aid kit and essential medications;
- Battery-powered or hand-cranked radio;
- Flashlight and extra batteries;
- Extra warm clothing including boots, gloves and hat; and
- Copies of important documents (birth certificate, title/deed to home, insurance policies, etc.) in a water-proof container.
Prepare an Emergency Supply Kit for Your Vehicle(s), including:
- All items shown in the kit for your home;
- Blankets or sleeping bags;
- Fire extinguisher (5 lbs., A-B-C type);
- Compass and road maps;
- Tire repair kit and pump;
- Extra clothing to keep dry;
- Sack of sand or cat litter (for tire traction); and
Additional Safety Advice:
- Use alternate heating/lighting sources wisely to avoid a house fire;
- Do not leave space heaters unattended and make sure they are far away from flammable objects;
- Do not use candles! Be sure to have working flashlights and extra batteries on hand for power outages; and
- Use a generator correctly -- follow directions carefully. Never operate a generator indoors, including a basement, garage, carport or near any open windows.
- List how you would receive information from local officials should hazardous winter weather affect your neighborhood, i.e., television, radio, internet;
- Consider getting first aid and CPR training in case you need to respond in an emergency.
For more information about how you can prepare for a variety of emergencies, visit http://loraincounty.redcross.org/ or visit www.generationready.org for a full spectrum of specific preparedness tips provided through the Red Cross Generation Ready program.