Planning on hiring a food truck for your next event? Here is how.
Food trucks are a fun way to cater an event, whether it is for a private event (graduation, wedding, birthday, etc.) or a public function. Mobile food units (food truck, carts, or food trailers) are licensed and regulated by the Health Department and Ohio Fire Code. To help ensure public safety the City has an ordinance requiring all mobile food units operating within Avon Lake to be registered. They are required to fill out a registration form with the Avon Lake Fire Department to be sure the unit has been licensed and inspected by the health department, has performed the required annual safety inspections for gas usage and has obtained the required insurance.
If you are booking a food truck please share the instructions below with them so everyone will have an enjoyable experience.
Approved 2022 Trucks
- 808 Shaved Ice
- Brooks Homestyle BBQ
- Boss ChickNBeer
- Café Melissa Food Truck
- Cheesy Daves
- CLE Cotton Candy
- Cleveland Cookie Dough Company
- Fired Up Tacos
- Jones Bones BBQ
- Kona Ice (Tom Flood)
- Kountry Krunchins
- Off the GRIDdle
- Pop Culture CLE
- Scott's Fire and Ice
- Smokin RocknRoll
- Taco Mikes
- Thyme Traveler
- The Bus Stop
- Weber's Premium Ice Cream
Last Updated 6/17/2022
Steps to Obtain a Mobile Food Unit Permit / Registration
Mobile food unit operators (food truck or food cart) must register with the City to conduct business at special events or private parties. Below are the details to register and obtain a permit. For additional questions call 440-933-8305.
1. Fill-out the Mobile Food Unit Permit/Registration.
2. You will need a scan of the following documents to complete the registration: 1) certificate of insurance evidencing commercial liability coverage in the minimum amount of one million dollars ($1,000,000); 2) mobile food operator’s license - both sides; 3) certification of gas testing (if propane use applies); and 4) vendor’s permit (if any items being sold are considered taxable). If there is more than one unit or truck involved, each original license must be presented.
3. There will be a charge of $25 for the first unit (vehicle) and $5 for each additional units. This can be paid with a credit card.
5. A copy of the completed application will be recorded with the Fire Department to refer to when performing inspections.
4. The Mobile Food Unit Permit expires on the same date as their Mobile Food License issued by their perspective County Health Agency.
If you would prefer to apply offline contact the Fire Department at 440-933-8305
Here is the Code passed by Council on 7-8-2019, Chapter 856, Regulation of Mobile Food Vehicles
The permit holder must notify the Avon Lake Fire Department in writing one week in advance of all times and locations within the City at which food or beverage will be dispensed from the mobile food unit. To do so send an email to FirePrevention@avonlakefire.org