Advice for keeping your home, family and property safe.
How safe is your home or property? Avon Lake Police Department suggests you to consider these questions. If you answer “No” to any them, you are at a higher risk of experiencing an unwanted intruder.
• Have you arranged to have a member of a law enforcement agency do a professional survey?
• Are all trees and shrubs pruned and well-maintained to prevent anyone from hiding unseen?
• Are trees trimmed and down pipes or lattice work blocked to prevent easy access to upper floors?
• If you have skylights, have you ensured that they cannot be easily removed or broken?
• Have you ensured that no ladders or tools are kept outside that would assist a potential intruder?
• If you keep a spare key outside, is it truly concealed & not in an easily recognizable place?
• Is your home well-lit with particular attention to exterior doors?
• Can your main entrance be seen from the street?
• Are exterior doors at least 1-3/4 inches thick and made from solid wood or reinforced with metal?
• Do all exterior doors have heavy-duty dead bolts and reinforced door jams?
• Have you taken steps to prevent someone gaining easy access through a mail slot, dryer vent or pet entrance?
• If doors have glass panels, are they protected against someone breaking through & defeating the locking mechanism?
• Have all sliding glass doors been protected from being easily lifted out from their frames?
• Are all exterior lights and security devices in good working order and protected from breakage?
• Does the door from the attached garage leading to the house have a dead bolt?
• Does your overhead garage door have a working electronic door opener?
• Do you keep the overhead garage doors closed and your car locked inside the garage?
• Is your overhead door in good repair with no loose, broken or missing door panels or hardware?
• Do all windows have reinforced locking devices that can be secured in the open position?
• Do all screens and storm windows have reinforced locks?
• Are basement windows glass block or protected by grates or security devices?
• Are all irreplaceable items kept in a high-quality fire-resistant safe or in off-site safety deposit boxes?
• Do you have a complete and current video log or photographs of all your valuables off-site?
• Are all firearms kept secured and apart from ammunition?
• Have you spoken with friends and family members to ensure it is not put out on social media when you're out of town on vacation?
We also advise residents to be alert and report any suspicious individuals or behavior to the police immediately. Do not risk your personal safety by attempting to confront a suspicious individual. If in doubt, call 9-1-1. If you have any questions, please call the Avon Lake Police Department at 440-933-4567.