Preserving Avon Lake’s History
Avon Lake has a rich history and – with the guidance of the Avon Lake Historical Preservation Plan – we strive to preserve it. Throughout Avon Lake, you’ll find many historical residences and locations, as well as the people and stories that bring life to our 200-year history.
The Avon Lake Historic Preservation Plan outlines the goals and initiatives for the identification and protection of historic buildings, districts and sites in our community. It is also the intention of this plan to honor the memory of historically important citizens of Avon Lake and to identify the accomplishments of our industrial, farming and recreational enterprises. It is essential that we perpetuate these resources in order to maintain a strong, vibrant community whose character, quality of life, and long-term economic wellbeing will continue to grow and evolve.
Among the several well-known sites of historical significance in Avon Lake are the Folger Home, the Cottage District, and the Lake Shore Cemetery. All of these sites are located on the shores of Lake Erie and
In considering the designation of any area, property or site as a historic district or landmark, the ALHPC shall apply the following criteria:
- Its character, interest or value as part of the development, heritage or cultural characteristics of the city, state or nation.
- Its location as a site of significant historic event.
- Its identification with a person of significance in our past.
- Its exemplification of the cultural, economic or social heritage of the city, state or nation.
- Its portrayal of a group of people in an era of history, characterized by a distinctive architectural style.
- Its embodiment of distinguishing characteristics of a building or architectural style.
- Its embodiment of elements of architectural design, detail, materials or craftsmanship, which represent a significant architectural innovation.
- Its identification as a work of an architect or master builder whose work has influenced the city, state or nation.
- Its potential to yield information important in prehistory or history.
- A unique location or singular physical characteristics representing an established and familiar visual feature of a neighborhood or of the City.