Engineering Permits & Regulations

Plan Review Requirements for Individual House Topo Submittal

It has become increasingly more important for the information included on new home site plans (commonly referred to as a topographical plan or topo) to be as accurate and complete as possible. The City of Avon Lake Public Works Department has updated the requirements for topo submittal. All plans submitted must be prepared by a professional surveyor, registered in the State of Ohio, and include the following information.
Topo Plan Review Checklist - PDF

Ditch Enclosure

There is no form for a ditch enclosure. To enclose a ditch, please make a written request to Public Works Director Joseph Reitz that includes your name, address and phone number. The Engineering Department will access the property and determine if the ditch can be enclosed. After that determination has been made, you may contact the Service Department to perform the work. You may be responsible for cost of the materials. As an alternative, you may perform the work or hire a contractor. If you have any questions, please call 440-930-4101.

Footer Elevation Certificate
The footer elevation certificate is filled out by the contractor and guarantees that the footer is at the elevation that was permitted on the grading permit approved by the Engineering Department.
Footer Elevation Certificate – PDF

Grading Permit
The Grading Permit is pulled when a new home is being built. The permit is approved by the Public Works Director and inspections are made prior to an occupancy permit.
Grading Permit – PDF

Re-Grading Permit
A re-grade permit is pulled any time you change the grade of your yard after an occupancy permit is approved. If you re-landscape, add fill dirt, add a yard drain, etc., you must obtain the permit.
Re-Grade Permit – PDF

Road Opening Permit
This permit is used any time someone will be working in the road/street. This permit must be pulled from the Engineering Department, approved and inspected.
Road Opening Permit – PDF

Right-of-Way Permit
A right-of-way permit must be obtained any time someone will be working in the right-of-way (one foot behind the sidewalk to the centerline of the street)
Right-of-Way Permit – PDF

Typical Sidewalk Placement
This is a description of where a typical sidewalk would be placed. It will show the city’s requirements if someone is planning to install a sidewalk in front of his/her home.
Typical Sidewalk Placement – PDF

  1. Typical sidewalk cross slope to be 1/4 per foot. Any deviation will have to be approved by the City Engineer, and in no situation shall the cross slope exceed 1/2″ per foot.
  2. Expansion joints to be placed every 25 feet and trowl joints every 5 feet.
  3. All sidewalks are to be 6″ thick in driveways and curbramps, 4″ thick elsewhere.
  4. Sidewalk base to be 2″ compacted limestone shall be placed on a firm sub-base. In no situation shall a frozen base be acceptable.
  5. White cure compound to be used.
  6. Screened humus topsoil to be used free of all lumps, stones, and debris to be placed adjacent to new sidewalks, a minimum of 4″ deep, and seeded and mulched..
  7. The proposed sidewalk is to be installed to match the existing grade and NOT disturb the surface water flow.
  8. Concrete for sidewalks shall not be placed when the temperature is below 32 F. If the temperature is expected to drop below freezing within 48 hours of a concrete pour the contractor shall be required to use heat retaining blankets.

The Public Works Department office must be notified 24 hours in advance of the sidewalk/apron concrete pour. An inspection will be conducted.

Right-of-way permits must be obtained through the Engineering office for the construction of sidewalks. A copy of homeowners insurance policy is required unless a registered contractor is hired to do the work.

Right of way distances for each lot can be obtained at the Department of Public Works, 150 Avon Belden Road, 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. Monday - Friday.