Guidelines for the Designation
In considering the designation of any area, property or site as a historic district or landmark, the ALHPC shall apply the following criteria:
- Its character, interest or value as part of the development, heritage or cultural characteristics of the city, state or nation.
- Its location as a site of significant historic event.
- Its identification with a person of significance in our past.
- Its exemplification of the cultural, economic or social heritage of the city, state or nation.
- Its portrayal of a group of people in an era of history, characterized by a distinctive architectural style.
- Its embodiment of distinguishing characteristics of a building or architectural style.
- Its embodiment of elements of architectural design, detail, materials or craftsmanship, which represent a significant architectural innovation.
- Its identification as a work of an architect or master builder whose work has influenced the city, state or nation.
- Its potential to yield information important in prehistory or history.
- A unique location or singular physical characteristics representing an established and familiar visual feature of a neighborhood or of the City.