General Security Tips
Police Chief Duane Streator of the Avon Lake Police Department has provided a list of questions for residents to consider to properly protect themselves and their property. If you answer “No,” to any of the following questions, you are at a higher risk of experiencing an unwanted intruder.
1. Have you arranged to have a member of a law enforcement agency do a professional survey?
2. Are all trees and shrubs pruned and well-maintained to prevent anyone from hiding unseen?
3. Do any trees, down pipes, lattice work provide easy access to upper floors?
4. If you have skylights, can they be removed from the outside or easily broken?
5. Are any ladders or tools kept outside that could assist a potential intruder?
6. Are you guilty of keeping a hidden house key outside the house where it is sure to be found?
7. Is your home well-lighted with particular attention to exterior doors?
8. Can your main entrance be seen from the street?
9. Are exterior doors at least 1-3/4th inches thick and made from solid wood or reinforced with metal?
10. Do all exterior doors have heavy duty dead bolts and reinforced door jams?
11. Can anyone gain easy access through a mail slot, dryer vent, or pet entrance?
12. If doors have glass panels, can someone break through and defeat the locking mechanism?
13. Have all sliding glass doors been protected from being easily lifted out from their frames?
14. Are all exterior lights and security devices in good working order and protected from breakage?
15. Does the door from the attached garage leading to the house have a dead bolt?
16. Does your overhead door have a working electronic door opener?
17. Does your overhead door have any loose, broken or missing door panels or hardware?
18. Do you keep the overhead doors closed and your car locked inside the garage?
19. Do all windows have reinforced locking devices that can be secured in the open position?
20. Do all screens and storm windows have reinforced locks?
21. Do ground level windows have guards or grates?
22. Are basement windows glass block or protected by grates or security devices?
23. Are all irreplaceable items kept in high-quality fire-resistant safe or in off-site safety deposit boxes?
24. Do you have a complete and current videotape or photographs of all your valuables off-site?
25. Are all firearms kept secured and apart from ammunition?
Chief Streator also advises residents to be alert and report any suspicious individuals or behavior to the police immediately. Do not risk your personal safety by attempting to confront a suspicious individual. If in doubt, call 9-1-1. If you have any questions, please call the Avon Lake Police Department at (440) 933-4567.